Breaking News: Fire on Orchard StreetJuly 17, 2008
Firefighters are battling a house fire on Orchard Street, between Park Avenue and Center Street in Matawan Borough. I walked down to the scene where I learned that the two story house with attached two car garage is a rental property and is owned by a couple in Holmdel. A neighbor said it appeared that a young child in the home, around 3 years old, had gotten a hold of a firecracker and set it off sparking the blaze.
DISCLAIMER: This was heard “through the grapevine”, so I do not know for sure if this is a fact. I will gladly post a retraction if it is false.
If this is indeed true, it is a sad case of irresponsible behavior on the part of those around the child. I know it was the Fourth of July a couple of weeks ago, but MY GOD if you have kids in the house, you DO NOT leave firecrackers laying around! Secondly, how did a child of that age get his hands on something to set it off!?! These are questions yet to be answered, I suppose.
Fortunately, none of the residents of the house were harmed. We can be thankful for that.
More as I learn more! Stay tuned.